Sunday 19 February 2012

Week 1 - half marathon training long run

Well this weeks half marathon program for the Saturday super session had us 12wbters running 9 km (or 60 minutes).

For reasons out of my control (so not going there), I couldn't exercise/get sweaty on Saturday, so Sunday for me it was.

I headed down to the River Torrens (edge of the Adelaide CBD) for a morning run.

My 'typical' run plan of attack, would be to set a distance, i.e. 9 km, and get the fucker over and done with. This often leaves me wondering how much more is in the tank. So my challenge for next few weeks to myself is to really figure out where I'm at, how realistic this half marathon is, and heaven forbid can I aim a bit higher.

So, instead of merely heading off for 9 km, my goal was to stick to a consistent slow pace, and run for over an hour. I did 10.16 km in 1 hour 6 minutes ... and as fricken usual, still left wondering how much further I could have done. I felt fine during the run, and afterwards, and all day. Next time, no matter what, I'm lathering on the sunscreen, because this morning I used fear of getting sunburnt as an excuse to stop!

Anyway, 10.16 km on a Sunday morning was a fair effort. All up, including stretch, was 761 cals ... hmm a bit short of the 1000 cals for a SSS, but oh well :-(





No comments:

Post a Comment